Feb 11, 2022 | From the Desk of Dr. Eston Wenger of Premier Surgical Cleveland
In normal, healthy, veins, blood is constantly being circulated back up from the leg veins to the heart. Due to age, pregnancy, weight, or standing on your feet for long periods of time, the valves in your veins can weaken. If the valves in your veins have weakened, then your blood has a much harder time moving against gravity and will begin to pool in your legs which can lead to varicose veins.
There are different types of varicose veins so it is important to get the treatment that is right for you. If you have medium to large, bulging varicose veins near the surface of your skin, a great option for treatment is microphlebectomy.
A microphlebectomy is a minimally invasive procedure that involves the removal of the affected vein, or veins, through a series of tiny cuts. Your vein doctor will start this procedure by marking the veins on your legs while you are standing, when your leg veins bulge the most. These markings will be a guide for the doctor to know where to make the incisions. After local anesthesia is administered, the micro-incisions, which are around 2-3 millimeters in length, are made along the vein and the varicose vein is removed in sections through the tiny cuts.
Microphlebectomy is a great option for treatment for numerous reasons.
- There is no need for general anesthesia or an IV as microphlebectomy uses only local anesthesia.
- The incisions are so small that stitches are usually not needed, leaving very little to no scarring.
- Because the affected vein is completely removed, microphlebectomy is highly effective.
- Side effects are very minimal as well and may include light bruising and swelling for a few days after the procedure.
- Patients are able to go back to normal, non-strenuous, activities immediately and will be encouraged to get up and walk right away. More strenuous activities, like exercising can start up after only about a week of recovery.
- Microphlebectomy can also be used in addition to endovenous laser ablation. Being able to combine treatments is a bonus as it will allows for the most comprehensive treatment available.
To find out if Microphlebectomy is the right treatment for you, request an appointment with Vein Specialist Dr. Eston Wenger of Premier Surgical Associates in Cleveland, TN. Call (423) 472-5423 or CLICK HERE to request an appointment online!
Schedule an Appointment or Consultation Today!
Comments Policy: We love comments and appreciate the time that readers spend to share ideas and give feedback. However, all comments are manually moderated and those deemed to be spam or solely promotional will be deleted.